Australian Citizenship Application
Prepare and complete your Citizenship Application today! Complete your application quickly and correctly with Our self-help system to successfully complete your application. Fast, easy and professional. Submit your online application now!
How to apply for Australian Citizenship?
What are the requirements for Australian Citizenship?
The general requirements for Australian Citizenship are:
- You must be between 18 and 60 years of age.
- You must have lived continuously and legally in Australia for the past 4 years.
- Be physically present in Australia and must have not been absent for more than 12 months in the last 4 years.
- You must be of good character.
- Permanent resident status for 1 year and have lived in Australia for at least 9 out 12 months within the year.
How long does it take to become a citizen?
After filing your citizenship application, the DIBP will aim to process your application within 3 months, but there is always the possibility of a backlog of applications and other delays.
What are the requirements for Australian Citizenship if I am the spouse or partner of an Australian Citizen?
As a wife, husband or partner of an Australian citizen you must follow the same process and satisfy the same requirements as any other applicant.
Being a Partner Visa 820 holder will not entitle you to the citizenship since it is a temporary visa and not a permanent one. in order to apply for Australian citizenship you still need to meet the general eligibility requirements. you need to have held permanent resident status for 1 year and lived in Australia for at least 9 months of that year, as well as having lived continuously and legally in Australia for the past 4 years.
However, as a spouse of an Australian Citizen there might be times where the time spent overseas may count as time spent in Australia if a close connection to Australia can be proved. This time may be counted towards the residence requirement. If that is your case you can contact DIBP to discuss your options.
Eligibility requirements for citizens of New Zealand:
You are eligible for the Australian citizenship if you are a Permanent Residence Visa holder.
If you are not a permanent resident visa holder you are eligible provided that:
- If you arrived before 26 February 2001 you may be eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship
- If you arrived after 26 February 2001 you might be required to apply for permanent resident status first to be eligible for Australian Citizenship
- You meet the the residency requirements.
- If you have a CentreLink certificate issued before 26 February 2004 stating you were residing in Australia you may also be eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship
General evidence requirements:
The following general evidence requirements refer only to applicants aged 18 and over.
Original documents required:
- A good quality photograph against a plain, light coloured background, no more than 6 months old. Your face, head and shoulders must be clearly visible.
- Your hand-written original signature.
- Proof of residence.
- Identification documents, stating your birth name, date of birth and your gender.
If you have changed your name you will need to submit additional supporting documentation.
If the above-mentioned documents are not included in your application it will not be processed and consequently mailed back to you.